Furnaces are expensive but an absolute necessity in Georgia. As a result, you are going to want yours to last as long as possible. But how long do furnaces usually last? And what factors can shorten or extend the lifespan? Here's a quick primer on everything you need to know about how long furnaces last.
The Average Lifespan of a Furnace
How long does a furnace last? Not all furnaces are the same. A well-made furnace from a top provider should last 30 years or more. A no-name furnace from an unknown source might kick the bucket in under 10. However, on average, furnaces last around 15-20 years.
Factors That Can Shorten the Lifespan of a Furnace
There are a number of factors that can shorten the lifespan of your furnace. These include:
- Improper installation: A furnace that's not installed properly is more likely to break down. Make sure you hire a qualified technician to do the job right.
- Dust and dirt: Over time, dust and dirt can build up inside the furnace, causing it to work harder and eventually break down. Keep your furnace clean with regular maintenance.
- Poor ventilation: If your home isn't properly ventilated, it can cause the furnace to work harder and overheat. Make sure your home is well-ventilated and keep the vents clear of debris.
How to Make Your Furnace Last as Long as Possible
- Keep your furnace clean: Regular maintenance is the easiest way to keep it running smoothly and efficiently. Clean out dust and dirt, replace filters regularly, and check for any problems with ventilation or overheating. Additionally, if you find that your home isn't well ventilated, consider installing a ventilation system.
- Fix any problems: If you notice anything wrong with your furnace—a rattling sound, an odd smell, or abnormal noises and odors—have it looked at by a professional as soon as possible to avoid breakdowns and major damage.
- Purchase from a trusted brand: You can almost always find the longest lifespan warranties from the top furnace brands. When it comes time to replace your furnace, make sure you do your research and buy from a reputable company.
- Regular maintenance is key to making your furnace last as long as possible. By following these tips, you can help ensure that your home stays warm all winter long—without breaking the bank.
Of course, you can't do all of this alone. When it comes to repair and maintenance, turn to Moncrief Heating & Air Conditioning. We offer services for heating and air in Roswell that will keep your home cozy for years to come.
Check out our guide for choosing the most energy-efficient home heating system.