Air conditioning systems are one of the bigger investments homeowners make. The initial cost and ongoing maintenance expenses make it imperative for owners to get the most out of these systems. Every homeowner naturally desires many years of consistent performance from their AC.
Achieving this longevity largely depends on one thing: regular maintenance. With insights from Moncrief Heating & Air Conditioning—a longstanding pillar in the HVAC Sandy Springs community—we're here to share tips on how to extend the life of your air conditioner.
What Is the Life Expectancy of an AC System?
Manufacturers know the financial implications of installing and maintaining AC systems. As a result, they design these systems for durability. AC systems are expected to last about 15 years on average, though some can serve reliably for up to 25 years. By adhering to regular and proper maintenance, it's possible to extend this lifespan.
However, certain components, like the furnace, might require replacement if they're not well-installed or maintained. You should service your AC system at least twice yearly for optimal performance and longevity.
Tips to Extend the Life of Air Conditioner
- Clean the Outdoor Condenser Unit: The condenser coil is where the system releases heat. Over time, dust and debris build up there, making it less effective. This means the system has to work harder, which can raise your electricity bill. Regularly cleaning off the dust and removing debris can help your AC last longer.
- Keep Vents Clear: AC systems have vents to help with airflow. Dust and debris can clog these vents over time. When they're blocked, the system works harder and might break down sooner. Make it a habit to check and clean these vents.
- Look After Your Filters: Filters catch dust and debris to keep them out of the system. When they get dirty, they reduce airflow, making the AC work harder and use more electricity. Clean your filters regularly and replace them when needed.
- Upgrade Your Thermostat: A thermostat controls your AC's temperature. Many older models aren't as efficient as newer, programmable ones. With an upgraded thermostat, you can set when the AC turns on or off. Some even let you control the system when you're not home.
- Ventilate Your Home Properly: Leaks in windows, doors, and walls can make your AC work harder than needed. By ensuring these are sealed and using blinds or curtains effectively, you can help your AC work more efficiently.
Expert HVAC Sandy Springs Service
At Moncrief Heating & Air Conditioning, we pride ourselves on being a trusted provider of HVAC solutions. We've served the Sandy Springs community for years with quality HVAC services complemented by our outstanding customer service. Our commitment to swift, same-day service has cemented our reputation as the go-to HVAC provider in the area.
It's worth noting that regular maintenance is the key to extending the life of your AC system. Key components like the outdoor unit, vents, and filters play vital roles and need consistent upkeep to ensure your system stays in peak condition.
Ready to ensure your AC system is in top shape? Contact us today and let our experts take care of your cooling needs!