You want the air you breathe to be clean, fresh, and as healthy as possible. However, if you are like most homeowners, your indoor air quality is less than desirable. In fact, it could be up to five times more polluted than the air outside. The filters in your home’s HVAC system play an important role in your comfort and health, and in the performance of your heating and cooling system. Air filter benefits are numerous—if you are using them properly. Make certain you are using the correct type of air filter for your HVAC system and personal needs, and that they are properly maintained by your chosen heating and air repair Atlanta company.
Types of Home Air FiltersThere are many different types of filters on the market, with each one having its benefits and drawbacks. Most options fit into the following three categories.
Fiberglass Air FiltersThese home air filters are disposable and the cheapest option on the market. If your goal is to keep larger particles out of your HVAC system, they are a solid choice. However, they are not ideal at keeping dust and other small particles from circulating. Use these filters if your concern is more for strain on your HVAC system than enhancing air quality.
Pleated Air FiltersWith pleated air filters, the design is composed of cotton or polyester folded into a pleated design. These are a bit more expensive than fiberglass options, but they are better at preventing dust and other small particles from circulating in the HVAC system. The more pleats the filter has, the better it is at eliminating particles.
HEPA FiltersIn homes where residents have allergies or respiratory illnesses, HEPA filters are ideal. Although they are the most expensive filter on this list, they can remove 99.9 percent of particles from the air. The downside to this is that they force the HVAC system to work harder, driving up costs and adding strain to the components.
Benefits of Home Air FiltersIf you are on the fence about improving your HVAC filtration system, now is the time to consider the benefits of air filtration.
- There are a lot of contaminants that are primarily found indoors. When you keep them out of your HVAC unit in Atlanta , you are less likely to experience lung irritation and respiratory diseases.
- Filters don’t just reduce or eliminate particles; they help keep smells in check too. No need to smell that fish curry once the plates are cleared.
- Pet hair gets messy. While your HVAC filters won’t eliminate all pet hair, they can help make management easier.
- You can devote less time to cleaning. Since air purifiers trap dust, you will find yourself breaking out the Swiffer less often.
- If you have allergies, they make life so much easier. With most triggers being trapped by the filter, you’ll find yourself sneezing less and smiling more.