A central air conditioner unit needs refrigerant only when it begins to leak.
The most common reason for a central air conditioner leak is a problem with the evaporator or condenser coil. If the coils are damaged, they can cause the refrigerant to leak out.
Other common reasons for refrigerant leaks include holes or cracks in the coils, loose connections, or a damaged compressor. If your central air conditioner is leaking refrigerant, you will need to have it repaired by a professional.
The AC Refrigerant Process
1. The air conditioner’s refrigerant absorbs heat from your home’s indoor air, lowering its temperature.
2. The refrigerant then travels to the outdoor unit, where it releases the heat, it absorbed from indoors.
3. The refrigerant returns to the indoor unit, where it begins the process again.
4. If there is a problem with the coils or other components, the refrigerant can leak out, causing the air conditioner to lose its ability to cool your home.
A refrigerant leak signs include:
- Warm air coming from the vents
- Higher than normal utility bills
- Hissing or bubbling noises near the outdoor unit
If you notice any of these signs, it’s important to call a professional to have your air conditioner checked for leaks. Refrigerant leaks cause serious damage to your air conditioner and should be repaired as soon as possible.
How Often a Central Air Conditioner Needs Refrigerant
How do you know if your central air needs Freon depends on several factors. If you have an older unit, it may need to be recharged more often than a newer unit. The type of refrigerant your unit uses can also affect how often it needs to be refilled.
If your central air conditioner is leaking refrigerant, you will need to have it repaired by an AC Atlanta repair professional. It is important to find the source of the leak and repair it before adding more refrigerant, as this will only temporarily fix the problem. Once you have repaired the leak, your central air conditioner should be able to maintain its charge for several years.
Moncrief Heating & Air Conditioning is a trusted name in heating and cooling, offering central air conditioner repairs and maintenance in the Atlanta area. Our team of NATE-certified technicians can help you keep your air conditioner running efficiently all summer long. Schedule a service call today!